Morndyke has been the family home of the Phillips’ for at least 100 years.
Having been passed from generation to generation it is currently in the custodial care of Alan and Tricia Phillips. The farm initially produced bricks (hence the name Brickyard Farm in the address).
Old bottles and other memorabilia are often still excavated when the land is tilled. Alan himself raised the ancient kilns to the ground some 30 years ago, when he inherited the farm, in order to construct the cattle buildings.
Much of the hard-core for the foundations, paths and tracks came from the runways off the old air field directly behind the farm. This was used by the Canadian bomber Squadrons: 432 (briefly), 433 and 424 in the war – flying Wellington, Halifax and Lancaster bombers from 1943 -1945.
The farm has continued to grow in size from the original footprint of 12 acres and a collection of old ramshackle buildings owned by Alan’s great-grandfather – John Schofield, to 65 acres (on site) and well-constructed buildings as it is now.
The house also, has been extended and built up over the generations, from the original 1-up-1-down workers’ cottage that was on site prior to John Schofield‘s ownership, to the farm house it is today.
The farm now consists of arable land, suckler beef cattle, a collection of mostly dilapidated and vintage tractors and Tricia’s menagerie.